Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Storymakers!!

Tomorrow, I'm headed off to one of my very favorite conferences-- LDStorymakers. This is an incredible conference that so many fabulous agents attend every time. (My agent said it's her favorite conference she's ever been to.) And there is nothing like hanging out with hundreds of people who have the same obsessions interests that you do. If you've not been the conference-going type before, I highly recommend starting! It'll change your life. (Imagine me saying that in my most non-cheesy voice.)

Plus, I get to do a presentation! (Okay, so maybe I'm only 50% excited on this part, because the other 50% is filled with nervousness.) But but but! I get to talk about this:

Getting Inside the Head of a Middle Grade Kid. For anyone wishing they could jump into the head of an 8-12 year old to write MG, we’ll talk about the five elements kids crave in an MG novel, what kinds of things are most important to an MG protagonist, how to have your MG characters respond emotionally, and what your main character needs for MG readers to root for them.

And that kind of thrills me.

Especially because in my presentation, I get to use animated gifs. And just because I'm cool like that, here's a bonus one. (Well, that, and because they just make me laugh.)

http://gifs.gifbin.com/122010/tn_1291664377_camouflaged-cat.gif

Have you been to conferences before? If so, which is your favorite? If you're going to Storymakers, let me know! I want to make sure I see you.



Thank you once again to Deanie at Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne for awarding me the Shine On Award and the Super Sweet Award. Yum!

20 comments:

Nissa Annakindt said...

Wow, it sounds like your presentation is going to be great. I hope you have a very productive conference. I wish I could go to LDStorymakers myself--- even though I'm Catholic. ;) But I live on a farm and can't get away much.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Wish I could go. It sounds awesome. Please share tips on doing a presentation after you do it and a book signing after you do that in the Fall. Those and school visits are the scariest part of being a writer (and the deadlines) for me.

ilima said...

Me! Me! I'm going. I can't wait to meet you. :)

prerna pickett said...

Eeep, I'm going on Saturday, couldn't do both days, but I'm excited! I hope you're there then, would love to say hi!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

It's right on time for everyone to squee on your book cover too! Have a fabulous time!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I wish I could go! Have fun.

S.P. Bowers said...

Have fun and I'm sure you'll be great!

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

I wish I could go! Good luck on your presentation!

Emily R. King said...

I'm really looking forward to your presentation! I'm even skipping the second half of a Master Class so I don't miss it. Can't wait!

Elaine said...

Yay for Storymakers! I'm so excited for your class, Peggy! Especially now that I know there will be gifs. :) See you Saturday!

writing and living by Richard P Hughes said...

When you give your presentation, speak loud enough for me to hear you in Florida. Sounds exciting. So many of my blogging friends are going.

Jenilyn Collings said...

Yay! I'm going, too! See you there. :)

Rena said...

I've heard a lot of wonderful things about the storymakers conference. I wish I were going. Have fun.

Anne said...

That sounds like fun. Wish I was going. Good luck but I think you'll do great.

Neurotic Workaholic said...

I've never been to a conference before, but I'd like to go. Your presentation sounds interesting, especially because those middle school years can be difficult for kids at that age; reading books about other kids they can relate to helps them get through those years.

By the way (and pardon my absentmindedness), I couldn't remember if I told you or not, but there's an award for you on my blog. You don't have to tag anyone else or answer the questions (though I'd be interested in reading your answers); I just wanted you to have the award. :)

Kyra Lennon said...

Good luck with the presentation!

That GIF made me LOL! :D

Jeff Hargett said...

I was able to attend Orson Scott Card's writing workshop last year, but that's all so far. I'm hoping to change that sometime soon. Have a blast with your presentation. You'll do great!

Angela Cothran said...

I think this topic sounds like a blog post or even a few. You know for all us lameos who couldn't come and listen to your brilliance in person.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great conference, and have fun with the presentation... how exciting. You'll do excellent:)

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

Peggy,
Do you have that MG presentation to share? I'd love to see it.

I love MG books -- they are my absolute favorite. It's so cool, my daughter (age 13) and I go to the library and head straight for the MG section and we both come home with them. the best.