Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Awesome things to check out

First lines are hard to write, no? Want a bunch (oh, say..... 49) as-current-as-it-gets examples? At the Lucky 13s, 49 of us share our first sentences of books we have coming out in 2014. Okay, seriously-- is there anywhere else where you could get that many examples of books so current they aren't even out yet? And from all different genres? Trust me: the list is FASCINATING. I keep reading it over and over-- it's that good. Definitely worth checking out.


I just registered for my very favorite conference yesterday-- Storymakers. Why is it my favorite, might you ask? For one, they bring the most incredible agents and editors. (This year it's Josh Adams, (Adams Literary), Daniel Lazar (Writer's House), Laurie McLean (Forward Literary), Eddie Schneider (Jabberwocky Literary), and Melissa Frain (TOR books).) And incredible presenters (Like the keynote speaker who's also doing an intensive workshop, Orson Scott Card, and Brandon Sanderson (also doing an intensive workshop). Plus amazing attendees. I've met some of my favorite writer friends there! I'm also thrilled to be presenting two classes this year-- The Parent Problem in MG, and Getting Inside the Head of a MG Kid. If you live in Utah, I highly recommend it. If you don't and a trip to Utah in the spring (pretty!) is doable, I highly recommend it.


Since you're here, I'm guessing you love books. And I'm going to assume that you love free books even more, especially if they just show up at your doorstep. Sound good? 43 of the Lucky 13s, myself included, are participating in a MASSIVE GIVEAWAY of epic proportions, including autographed books, advance copies, swag, critiques, and more! There's some seriously amazing stuff. Join the group now, and then Jan 1-7, there will be 6-7 giveaways A DAY. 


And just for fun, this:



And then when you finish dying laughing, watch this:



All the laughing should boost your immune system for a good week or two. ;) Merry Christmas!

8 comments:

Neurotic Workaholic said...

I tried putting wrapping paper on my dog when I was a kid. She responded by ripping the paper to shreds and then tried to eat it. And I like those first lines, by the way! The first line of a story is always hard for me to write, because it's hard to come up with something something that hooks the readers.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all those first lines! I've been struggling with mine, so I could use the inspiration. As for wrapping the cat, I can barely wrap a box, so I'm not going to try something with claws. ;)

JeffO said...

Glad things are going so well--Merry Christmas!

Jessie Oliveros said...

I wish I could attend Storymakers! Maybe next year:)

Annalisa Crawford said...

Laughing a lot right now, but eager to try it myself :-)

prerna pickett said...

those were hilarious! I'll definitely check out those lines, a great way to 'study' as a writer. Storymakers is a great conference!

Nicole said...

Loved the first line post at Lucky 13s!

Jennifer Hillier said...

The How To Wrap A Cat video was hilarious! If only my Kobe would sit still long enough for me to do that and take a picture. That made my day.